Follow the guide below to create a new trip. Please note that before creating your trip you will want to create all of your Requirements, References, Additional Profile Questions, Applications and Filters.
Locate Your Trips Page
From the top navigation bar, select the My Trips tab. This will pull up all of your active trips. To include your archived trips in this view, select the checkbox labeled Include Archived Trips.
Select the Create a New Trip button at the top right of the page.
Step 1: Trip Info
Enter your basic trip details:
- The Trip Name will identify the trip on your public missions page and the trip's page.
- Destination: enter the City and Country where you plan to travel.
- Use the Event Code field to help track payments for your accounting team, this field is optional and used for your internal purposes only.
- Enter the Travel Dates for the actual trip.
- The Registration Dates will determine when your trip will be open to participants applying. The apply button will disappear at midnight of the end registration date.
- Max Headcount: this will determine how many people will be allowed to apply to the trip.
- Age Range will make stop anyone with a birthdate not within that age range from applying.
8. In the Brief Description field, add a trip description to set goals and expectations and let applicants know more about who they will be serving.
9. Trip Contact Person: This is who is the contact person at your Church or Organization that both potential participants and current participants can contact.
After filling out name, phone number and email address you then have the option to make it public on the Trip Information Page or if you only want it visible to approved participants who will be going on your trip.
**Please note when completing this process if you see a small question mark on the page you may hover over that to get more information about that field or feature.
10. Affinity Group: If you are using Affinity Groups (optional--see red box for details) then this is where you set that or select none if you are not using this feature. You must select something for this field.
11. Total Trip Cost: this is the total amount that each participant needs to raise for this trip.
12. Deposit: this is the amount required for the participant to pay either at the time of applying or after they are accepted onto the trip (you will set that rule on the next page)
13. Disable Funding and Fundraising: this is an optional item if you want to have people go through the trip application process but are not requiring them to fundraise or you are handing it outside of Focus Missions. Check this box to disable.
14. Allow Fundraising Past Goal Amount: Many churches and organizations want to allow those who are strong fundraisers to be allowed to raise past the goal amount in order to help those on their team who are not as strong fundraisers or any other variety of reasons. Check this box to allow that.
15. Hiding Funding Amounts: you have the option to hide fundraising amounts from team members or team leaders. Check either or both to hide.
16. Custom Fields: This is an option item that not all churches or organizations will use.
If you are using them then they will appear on this Details Page otherwise it will not show.
To setup Custom Fields to to Trips --> Trip Components --> Custom Fields
Please review the Knowledge Base Article on Custom Fields to see how to setup this feature.
17. Funding Milestones: You can add milestones along the way either by dollar amount or a percentage of the total.
Then the due date will be one that you choose.
We recommend having these funding milestones correspond with either buying plane tickets or some other fee associated with the trip so that you have your budgets covered.
By added the due date (which is required), it will prompt the Focus Missions website to start emailing participants about a week out of the due date and send reminders until the funding milestone has been reached.
You can add as many milestones as needed.
18. This Section will differ based on which ChMS you are using or if you are using one at all.
Each setting is unique to your organization and we suggest meeting with your finance and data teams to determine how to set this area up.
In our example it is using Fellowship One but we integrate with several major ChMS Products.
19. Once you have completed all the fields in the Details Section, please click on Next to continue.
Step 2: Image & Filters
Select an image to represent your trip (or upload your own), and choose relevant filters for the trip to help others search for it from the overall trips page.
Choose from the available images by selecting the Add Trip Image button and clicking on the desired image.
To select an existing or stock image, click on the image and continue.
If you prefer to add your own image, click on Upload Trip Image.
Navigate to the files you wish to select from on your computer and make your selection.
An Edit window will appear to help you crop your image to the correct size and proportion.
Rotate the image or drag and resize the crop window to suit your needs, and click Upload to apply the image to your trip.
You'll now see a preview of your sized image for the trip. Click OK to continue.
Public Trip Page Options
1. Select whether or not you want your new trip to display on the trip listings page.
2. Select for the trip to be either a private trip that requires an invitation to join or a public trip that anyone can join.
3. Select if you would like donation goal and program to be shown on the public page. If you are selecting to fundraise you may want to select the option "Don't Show" or order to not discourage anyone who may want to donate to the trip.
4. If you do not want the city you are going to visible on any public facing pages then select to NOT show. This will then only show the trip name instead of location information which may be sensitive based on what part of the world you are traveling to.
5. Allow Anonymous giving, this allows the donor to give without the participant or trip leader seeing their name but on the backend your finance team and administrators will be allow to see this information to give donor credit.
6. Can't Go, Give: this is a great feature that will allow visitor to your mission trip page to give a donation to a trip even if they are not able to attend. This would go into unallocated funds that you can assign to team members at a later date if needed.
Make your choices by selecting or deselecting the checkboxes.
Links, Donation Suggestions and Categories & Filters
7. Registration Link Text: If you are doing Group Registration you have the option of changing what the button says once someone clicks apply. The default is Friends and Family
8. For the donation form that appears on your "Can't Go, Give" and on your Participants personal fundraising page there is always an option to add a custom amount. This feature is to suggestion some amounts like $25, $50, $100. It is not required to add but we highly recommend it. Please note that in this section you will not see the box for custom amount but it will appear automatically on your donation form.
9. To choose filters for your trip, first select a Category.
- Place a check mark next to the filters you wish to apply to this trip under this category.
- To add more filters that are under listed under a different category, select the Add Category button and repeat the process.
- Once your image is selected and you've identified all your filters, click Next to move on to Step 3.
**Please note that filters need to be setup ahead of time but can be added later if you need to edit. To create filters to to Admin --> Components --> Filters (on the left side)
10. If you have multiple Categories that you want to use then you can click "Add Category" and repeat all the steps in #9
11. Click Next to continue.
Step 3: Application and Settings
12. Add an Application: Prior to working to create a new trip you should have created an Application.
You do this by going to Trips --> Applications --> "Create Application" OR click on an Application Name to edit an existing application.
Our Best Practice recommendation is to keep the application short to answer the following question, "Can this person go on this trip--yes or no".
Also, by reusing the same application for each trip, your participants who go year after year will not need to fill out the same information as it will be saved and they can simply verify the information.
For more information please read "How to Create Trip Applications"
For this set click Yes, if it requires an application and you will then see additional options appear as well as a button to "Choose the application to use".
Click to select which application you want to for the trip you are creating.
You may have different applications for Domestic, International or Youth Trips.
13. Once you select an application you will have the option to make the description (you would have filled that out when creating an application) to be seen by your applicants or to keep it hidden.
14. Determine when applicants become part of the team.
If you select Yes, they will be automatically added and there is nothing to do.
If you select NO, then your organization would have the option to review the applications and then determine on an applicant by applicant basis who is accepted onto the team.
Upon acceptance they would then be prompted to begin the process of completing their requirements.
15. If you are doing a group registration option then you have to select YES to allow your applicants to pay their deposit before they are accepted onto the team.
Otherwise this is up to your organization and how to want to handle deposits.
This is a great way to handle the concept of a registration fee is to turn this on so that applicants are prompted to pay at the time they apply.
16. This features allows someone who is signing up a group or team under the group registrations tab to manage funding and requirements for everyone in their group.
Step 3: Pre-Requisites, Requirements and Checklists
1. If your trip requires References, you would select Yes and it will follow the settings you set in the References Tab (Trips --> References --> Settings)
Your trip's Prerequisites and Requirements will comprise all of the things you want your team members to be sure to complete or check off before your trip begins.
These will have already been created in your Requirements Bank.
If you have not created these yet you may do so by going to Admin --> Components --> Requirements
2. In this step, you'll be selecting which Prerequisites to include as part of this trip.
Prerequisites are simply requirements that you would like your applicants to complete at the time they are applying in order to help you make a decision if they can go on a trip.
A great example of a use for this is if you have a strenuous serving trip and require a medical fitness document.
If you choose to accept someone to a Team before they complete their prerequisite then it simply becomes a past due requirement.
- If no prerequisites apply to a trip, you may skip this step by selecting NO under the question: Are there any requirements that must be completed before submitting an application?
- To add prerequisites select YES.
- You'll be presented with a list of all available requirements in your requirements bank. Check the box next to each requirement that you want to apply to this trip and select the Next button.
3. In this step, you'll be selecting which Requirements to include as part of this trip.
- If no requirements apply to a trip, you may skip this step by selecting NO under the question: Are there any requirements that must be completed before submitting an application?
- To add Requirements select YES.
- You'll be presented with a list of all available requirements in your requirements bank. Check the box next to each requirement that you want to apply to this trip and select the Next button. (Just the same as pictured above for the Prerequisite List)
- Your list of selected requirements will now display an L/P option to select who needs to complete this requirement (L= Leaders/P=Participants) and Due Date field. Assign a due date to each requirement.
- Requirements may be removed from this screen if you change your mind, and additional requirements may be added if you happened to miss one.
4. The next feature to add to any trip is a Checklist. You may create Checklists in advance by going to Trips --> Trips Components --> Checklists. To learn more about this feature please visit this Checklists article in our Knowledge Base.
You may also create checklist in the Trip Creation Process as well.
This will be something your participants can visit unlimited amount of times and a great place to store Packing Lists or even Sample Fundraising Letters.
Step 5: Review and Create your trip
Review all of your trip details, and make any necessary edits from the Review screen.
If everything looks good, click the Create My Trip! button to advance to the final step.
Launch Your Trip!
Your new trip's Dashboard will appear, and your trip's web page will have been created.
Initially, your trip's status will be in Setup Mode.
You may keep it in this state as long as you need to if you still need to add more documents and requirements or finalize your details.
Once you're ready to activate your trip, select the Status option at the bottom left of your trip's admin view.
From the Status view, click the Launch This Trip button to activate it, and make it visible on your church's trip page.
Launching the trip will begin the billing cycle for the trip. Billing will continue (the trip will be Active) until it has been placed into Archived status.
Updating Your Trip Status
After your trips have been completed, return to this page to put them into Archive status by selecting Move to Archive.
This will retain the information from the trip, and you'll be able to clone them for similar trips in the future.
It will also cease the billing for the trip.
To view the details of your trip status history, refer to the audit log you can find at the bottom of the Status screen.
It will let you know the individual, as well as the date and time, for each status update.